Thursday, February 5, 2009

On A Wing and A Prayer

Recent news on Layoffs

598,000 Jobs Lost in January - U.S. alone

In Seattle alone - Boeing - 10,000; Starbucks - another 1700; Macy's - 7,000; Microsoft - cutting 5,000 over the next 18 months...

Weekly, I volunteer as a case worker at the local Helpline. I'm aware enough that Jack and I could fall into the category of the plight of many of the calls that I take. Families who have had one or two layoffs or significant decrease in their hours. They juggle to see what they can pay first; what is more vital for survival --- rent or power; clothing or food. Where can you go when you no longer have health insurance. Weekly I hear about families, many with minor children, who are in these positions. One woman had a bad month. She was diagnosed with breast cancer at the same time her work hours were cut. One family, the father lost his job. They became homeless. They had children from 2-17; they had two mattresses to take with them to sleep at various shelters in the city. They were just asking where to get winter clothes.

I wonder how the world will be in these difficult times. I worry. I already see it in my small neighborhood in Seattle. The more layoffs, the worse the economy gets - more crime. People are desperate. There are news where people are getting brave and are breaking into homes when people are actually home (they might be showering or napping or whatever) to steal a laptop or a television or an Ipod. People are breaking into cars with alarms. Anything they can grab their hands on to be able to sell back.

But the reality is... who's going to be able to afford the things that are stolen anymore?

I have a feeling divorce rates, domestic violence, etc... are also going to go up.

It's a scary time.

Jack's work probably will be affected with the Boeing layoffs. Many of Gosiger's customers make parts for Boeing. I told Jack that getting an interview and being hired is close to winning the lottery right now. A friend of mine whose company was hiring for entry level...in 2 days had close to 200 applicants.

By the way if you know of anyone going through this...a good source is:

Dial 2-1-1 (it's like the 911 for referral and information service) ---to get help with housing, utility, etc... .


In these times, we all try to hold on to something that comforts us; to hold on to faith and a belief that everything will be okay. For me, lately, that's prayer. So...


God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment