Friday, January 9, 2009

Friday Face

this might seem morbid as the Friday Face I've selected is, well, dead.

Rachel Corrie died in 2003 at the Gaza Strip - fatally injured by an Israeli bulldozer - trying to defend Palestinian homes. New book is out called Let Me Stand Alone: The Journals of Rachel Corrie.

Here is an excerpt:

"Thinking it over, I realized that the most powerful actions I can take toward societal improvement will have to start very close to home, arising not from the need to leave a mark on history, but from empathy and sincere understanding of the places in my life where neglect exists.

I can't cool boiling waters in Russia. I can't be Picasso. I can't be Jesus. I can't save the planet single-handedly. I can wash dishes.

Live for a long time in the place you were born and strange things will happen to you. You forget what it's like to discover. In order to survive, you seek out ways to discover things in miniature. Instead of becoming worldly you become intimate. You see every tragic refraction of the place and it sees the same in you."

She was only 23.

If only we had it in us to realize that all it takes is to "wash dishes" to make a difference, maybe the world might take flight away from all of its strife & struggles.

So yeah... Friday Face - tres morbid. AND it's 2am.

No comments:

Post a Comment