Monday, January 12, 2009

Celluloid Fever

I love this time of year because most movies of substance or perceived substance comes out - for award season.

I love movies.

The one I really enjoyed recently is Slumdog Millionaire - Run, do not walk, to your nearest theater.

Benjamin Button was blah. It wasn't that good, it wasn't that bad. For me, it was mostly anti-climatic.

I've watched everything Kate Winslet has been in. I'm a huge admirer of her project selections. I remember watching her in Heavenly Creatures. I believe it was her & Peter Jackson's first film (he'll later direct Lord of the Ring trilogy- if you watch Heavenly Creatures, one can see visions of Lord of the Rings to come. lol). I was almost...almost disappointed that Kate Winslet was in the god-awful Titanic (sorry you Titanic fans) but heck, I'd do it too if it was a sure blockbuster and that it would set me for life in royalties and undeserved Oscars. Anyhoo, I even love Kate Winslet in her new Lancome Tresor ads.

and The Holiday.
But I'm looking forward to The Reader and Revolutionary Road.

Other movies on my list:

Rachel Getting Married

Defiance
Tale of Desperaux
(I'm a fan of animated features)
Doubt
The Wrestler -
everytime they show trailers in the theaters, I have a hard time keeping my mouth closed. "That's Mickey Rourke??!!"
Milk

and yes, these are on my list too - don't judge.

Bride Wars
Marley & Me
Frost/Nixon
Hotel for Dogs
The Proposal
(it's not out yet but the one with Sandra Bullock. It looks funny)

Anyhoo, I've been watching some movies on tv and netflix. I was astounded to discover a small 2004 (?) Australian flick called Somersault. Really good and an unbelievable performance by Abbie Cornish. I watched 9 1/2 Weeks - the one with Mickey Rourke & Kim Basinger. It's still a bad movie but I focused on Mickey Rourke and kept thinking of how he looked in The Wrestler trailers. I watched Age of Innocence again and still think Winona Ryder sucked in it.

What else? Oh yeah, Netflix. Watched Strictly Ballroom again and introduced to Jack. Still as fun as ever. We rented The Other Boleyn Girl. It was pretty good.

Okay that's my obnoxious movie reviews on a platter.


No comments:

Post a Comment