Wednesday, February 25, 2009

High Wire

Just returned from the Helpline doing volunteer case-working stuff. I'm enjoying working with the two women there. Calls seem to increase day by day as the economy gets worse and worse. I'm fielding calls from people who never had called helplines before. People who were laid off back in December and having a heck of a time finding work. People who worked at Microsoft. It's staggering.

Before I left, our executive director made sure she told me the names of the people who were approved for financial assistance that I took calls for. It takes a couple of weeks of reviews & evaluations. One woman was 9 months pregnant - was a restaurant server but at her late term of pregnancy can't work. Her husband is a part-time chef who was laid off but is now working again. They just needed help with rent until the husband's first paycheck comes through. I'm glad they got the money. She was one of the people that I remember speaking with for awhile about life's circumstances and how all of a sudden, we find ourselves in this situation.

After awhile I realize who are self-sufficient and is using the helpline for a one-time gig and which callers call ALL the time. Callers who go from one resource center to another - rotating but not really trying.

But yeah... most of the calls today were pleasant. There wasn't one person who wasn't thankful or understanding or patient with the two week process of reviewing.

Anyway, Jack's on his way back from Portland. I'm off to cook a "chicken tender bake" - a recipe I got from one of the grammas in Kansas.

I think it'll be nice to stay home tonight, eat dinner, and watch American Idol - only because it's supposed to snow tomorrow (possibly just light dusting) - and wouldn't it be nice to just be a couch potato with a blanket over you...watching smut tv.

No comments:

Post a Comment